When cravings strike, there are many options, and zucchini can help tame even the unhealthiest urge. Packed full of fiber and vitamin C, this fruit (technically zucchini is a fruit, though we refer to it as a veggie) has a 95% water content, making it incredibly hydrating and low in calories. A good source of vitamin B6 as well, it is easy on the digestive system and completely versatile.
Regardless if your cravings strike morning, noon or night, these recipes will have you ditching the junk in favor of something healthy.
Breakfast: Craving Muffins? Try Zucchini Bread Instead.
(Tip: Make the bread the night before, so you can just slice it and go in the morning.)
1 banana, mashed
3/4 cup nondairy yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sucanat or coconut palm sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (spelt or a gluten-free baking flour will do)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8×4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray or coconut oil.
2. In a bowl, mix together the banana, yogurt, applesauce and vanilla.
3. In another bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Lunch: Craving Chips? Try Zucchini Chips!
1 Tbsp. coconut oil (or olive oil)
Almond flour (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel zucchini and cut into thin chip rounds.
2. Rub chips with coconut oil (and almond flour, if desired), place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and bake for 30 minutes.
Dinner: Craving Pasta? Try Zucchini Pasta.
3/4 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1. Peel zucchini into strips with a peeler, and heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium.
2. Add garlic and lightly brown. Add the sesame seeds.
3. Add zucchini and stir-fry for about 3 minutes or until desired texture is reached. (The longer it cooks, the crispier they will become.)
4. Remove from heat and top with your favorite sauce! Feel free to add as many veggies to this dish as you like, to make it more of a complete “pasta” dish.
She is fun, fabulous and fierce. She is chic, intelligent and in-the-know. But most of all, the Cheeky chick is the kind of woman who embraces, admires, respects, smiles at and opens her heart to other fabulous chicks. Now THAT'S Cheeky, darling!