Who doesn’t love brownies? As a vegan, making brownies can feel like just a slightly healthier version of the full-fatty kind. Usually packed with flour and sugar, YumUniverse (and Heather Crosby specifically) again came to the rescue as I searched for a quick, healthy fix for my sweet tooth.
These flourless, gluten-free brownies are completely vegan and packed full of protein from black beans (I promise you can’t taste them). With just a few simple ingredients (and a few variations from YU’s recipe), I made a satisfying dessert to pack for our road trip to Nashville for the holidays.
Having a holiday party? Surprise your guests with these delicious treats!
Vegan Black Bean Brownies
3 cups low-sodium black beans, rinsed (25 oz. can)
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 cups vegan chocolate pieces (10 oz. bag)
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup pecans (optional)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 Tbsp. sucanat or coconut palm sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Rinse your canned black beans and set aside.
3. Melt your chocolate and coconut oil using a double broiler or microwave. *
4. Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. Stir in pecans.
5. Spread into pan or cookie sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
*Note: If using microwave to melt chocolate, make sure to use a microwave safe bowl and lower power on microwave to half. Melt in 30 second intervals and then stir. It should not take more than a couple of minutes!
She is fun, fabulous and fierce. She is chic, intelligent and in-the-know. But most of all, the Cheeky chick is the kind of woman who embraces, admires, respects, smiles at and opens her heart to other fabulous chicks. Now THAT'S Cheeky, darling!